The fantastical face masks
Who are AniMasks by Nettl?
AniMasks by Nettl are part of the Grafenia family – a Manchester based business, that offers printing, websites, signage and fabric display stands for exhibitions via their partner network. In response to the current Coronavirus pandemic, Grafenia has repurposed part of their fabric manufacturing department to make fabric face masks that, due to their design, are fondly referred to as ‘AniMasks’.
What is an AniMask?
An AniMask is a fabric face mask that covers the nose and mouth, and is secured to the head with ear loops. These are not medical grade masks – such masks are in high demand and are needed by medical professionals. AniMasks are NOT designed or tested to be used as PPE. They are not for medical or surgical use. They do not protect someone from becoming infected. They are intended to catch droplets and if possible to slow the rate of spread of the disease following the ‘face gaiter’ principles: https://www.facegaiter.org
Why wear an AniMask?
Covid-19, the disease caused by the Coronavirus, can make people sick without them knowing it. Many people don’t show symptoms even though they are infected and infectious. Wearing an AniMask helps to reduce the distance that the virus can travel via breathing, talking, coughing, or sneezing. Covering the nose and mouth enhances the impact of social distancing and lowers the risk of virus transmission to other people.
When should an AniMask be worn?
Not everyone that is infected with the virus will show symptoms, so it’s advised to wear an AniMask when you expect to encounter other people. This may be whilst visiting a supermarket or out on a walk for example. Assume you’re infected, and wear an AniMask whenever you go outdoors. AniMasks are worn to protect others.
How to put on your AniMask
1. Wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitiser before touching the AniMask.
2. Remove from the packaging and make sure there are no obvious tears or holes in either side.
3. Determine which side of the mask is the top and which side of the mask is the front. The printed side of the AniMask is the front and should face away from you.
4. Hold the mask by the ear loops. Place a loop around each ear.
5. Pull the bottom of the mask over your mouth and chin.
How to remove your AniMask
1. Wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitiser before touching the mask.
2. Avoid touching the front of the AniMask. The front will be contaminated. Only touch the ear loops.
3. Hold both of the ear loops and gently lift and remove the mask.
4. Clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitiser.
5. Wash the AniMask at 60 degrees in a washing machine and allow to air dry thoroughly before wearing again.
How to care for your AniMask
Once used, they should be washed in a washing machine at 60 degrees and air dried thoroughly before wearing again.
Can I get my own designs?
AniMasks take their inspiration from our animal friends. If that’s not your thing, or maybe you’d like to get some printed with your corporate branding, check out these custom branded face masks from Nettl.
Share your #animasks
Show your support for our NHS and share your AniMask pics on your social media channels. Use the hashtag #animasks and we'll display as many in our gallery as we can.